On Wednesday, Xiaomi launched its new smartphone, ‘Redmi Y3’ at an event held in New Delhi, India. The smartphone is part of the company’s Y series which is said to be focused on Selfies and Youth.
The latest smartphone sports a HD+ Display, Dual Camera Setup, Snapdragon 632 SoC, 4000 mAh Battery and much more.
The company also announced its budget smartphone, the Redmi 7 at the same event.
Top Highlights of Smartphone:
The main highlights of the smartphone are 32MP Selfie Camera, Front Camera EIS and Aura Prism Gradient Design.
Redmi Y3: Price in India, Sale Date and Offers
- Redmi Y3 price in India is Rs. 9,999 for the 3GB RAM/32GB internal storage variant and Rs. 11,999 for the 4GB RAM/64GB internal storage variant. It will come in Bold Red, Elegant Blue, and Prime Black colour options.
- The smartphone will be available for purchase via Amazon, Mi.com and Mi Home Stores starting April 30.
- Launch offers include telecom offer from Airtel with benefits upto 1,120GB of data and unlimited calling.
Redmi Y3: Specifications and Features
Now coming to the specifications, Redmi Y3 sports a 6.26-inch Display with 19:9 aspect ratio and HD+ (720×1560 pixels) resolution. Based on Android 9.0 Pie on the top of MIUI 10, the phone runs on 1.8GHz 14nm octa-core Snapdragon 632 processor with Adreno 506 GPU. It comes with 3GB/4GB RAM options. The smartphone has the support of Dual-SIM (nano+nano+microSD).
In optics, there is a dual rear camera setup, the first camera includes a 12MP sensor with f/2.2 aperture and the second camera includes a 2MP depth sensor.
On the front, there is a 32MP sensor with f/2.25 aperture. The phone has Dual LED flash on the back.
When it comes to storage, the smartphone comes with 32GB/64GB internal storage with the support of microSD upto 512GB. Connectivity suite of the smartphone includes Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth v4.2, GPS, GLONASS, 3.5mm headphone jack and Micro-USB port. The sensors on board the handset are accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, IR blaster and rear-facing fingerprint sensor. Redmi Y3 battery capacity is 4,000mAh. The handset measures 158.73×75.58×8.47mm and weighs 180 grams.
The smartphone pack a lot of features which are listed below:
- The smartphone sports HD+ waterdrop display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
- The display has a peak brightness of 450 nits and a contrast ratio of 1500:1.
- It has gradient design at the back which uses 7-layer process.
- Rear Camera features include AI scene detection and portrait shots.
- Front Camera features include 4-in-1 pixel binning, Auto HDR, AI Portrait, AI Face Unlock and EIS.
- P2i splash resistant nano-coating.
The Redmi Y3 is a budget smartphone with decent quality features. It has a very good selfie camera that can click good photos and videos. The display has HD resolution which is certainly a minus point at this price segment. The performance is decent but not the best in this range. The smartphone is a package of mixed features that is some good and some bad.
Talking about the competition in this price range of around 10K, the real competitors of this smartphone are Redmi Note 7, Realme 3, Samsung Galaxy M20, Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 and Nokia 5.1 Plus. So, the competition in this price range is high.
If compared with the competition, the smartphone is offering different features like 32MP selfie camera and gradient pattern design. Except for selfies the smartphone lacks behind in every segment, the company’s own Redmi Note 7 turned out to be an overall better smartphone at the same price.
Overall, We don’t recommend Redmi Y3 to buy in this price range. However, at the time of writing this article, our first recommendation will be Redmi Note 7.
Note: These are my initial impressions of the smartphone. For Full Flash Review, Stay tuned with our Instagram Page.